Saturday, August 4, 2012

What do I DO with all these vegetables? Part 3--The New Mom makes Pink Worm Soup and Oven Roasted Beets and Zucchini with Orange-Paprika Compound Salt

 What my vegetable soup COULD have looked like -- courtesy of http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/images/soup-vegnood_small-3.jpg


My daughter has decided that regular, jarred baby food is beneath her. This might be because of all the amazing table food she had while were on vacation in Puerto Rico--and the fact that this week, she went out to eat three times (jetsetter AND gourmand): She sampled the carrot soup at a Mediterranean restaurant downtown, had pupusas at a Salvadoran restaurant (her tamale never got to the table), and finished the week off with gazpacho, some chicken, and melon for dessert at lunch with her grandparents.

Figures she would turn her nose up when I tried to serve her baby oatmeal this morning, but I panicked. She had never liked any of the baby food I had made for her in the past--she SPIT OUT some baby hummus I lovingly made for her at five months, ditto oatmeal wih peaches at 8 months--and now I was either going to have to take her out to eat every day...or I would have to learn to make something for her that she would enjoy.

This week's share and recipes after the jump!
Enter this week's share:

4 ears of corn
2 cucumbers
1 bunch of beets
1 bunch of leeks
1 bunch of kale
2 summer squash


I strategized with my new eater in mind. She loves cucumbers raw; it is is the only way I can keep her from trying to eat our (not always child friendly) food during dinner. They seem to soothe her gums (and give her one new tooth practice!). Kale she has been a fan of for a long time, so I knew I could make some for us and serve a tiny bit. I decided to make a soup for her, since soups seem to be something she consistently likes to eat, and something that traditionally the moms in my family make for their new eaters. 

Photo: Aviva has decided baby food is beneath her. Making veggie soup for her...never been this nervous to cook for someone before!
Awful prep picture!
While I was chopping beets and squash, I decided to also make myself  an "adult" dish since I was already cooking! That recipe follows the Pink Worm Soup recipe.

Notes:
  • My mother would be shocked to know I made this soup without any meat or stock, but it tasted just fine! If you want to add stock instead of water, go ahead, but I suggest homemade, salt-free stock for babies.  
  • The color of the beets leaches out and makes this soup pink--once you add noodles, it looks like worms, hence the name! my little one did not care much about the color, but if yours do, just leave out the beets! 
  • This can easily be an easy soup for adults, just add more seasoning and do not puree at the end! Some beans would probably be really fun in this soup, as would the corn (I was worried about choking) and, if I was making it for myself, I would have added some of that kale!
  • Always keep your child's allergies, food preferences and so on in mind, and never start children on food without consulting a physician.

Pink Worm Soup (makes about 12 "baby food cubes" or 1-2 cups)
1 tsp of oil
1/2 a small onion, chopped finely
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 a beet, cut into 1" cubes
1/2 a summer squash cut into 1" cubes
1 leek (or 1/4 a large leek), large leaves removed, sliced 1/2"
3/4 cup kabocha squash or pumpkin, 1" cubes and peeled
3/4 cup fine angel hair noodles (larger for big kids or adults if desired)
3 cups water
Dash of Goya Adobo or other seasoning

1.)Heat oil and add onion, stirring until golden and translucent. Add garlic and the rest of the vegetables and saute until fragrant. Add water and bring to a boil.
2.)Cover and simmer for 60-90 minutes, or until vegetables are tender (beets may not be completely fork-tender)
3.)10 minutes before the end of cooking time, add noodles and cook until done.
4.)Puree with an immersion blender (which will leave noodles intact and some small chunks of zucchini and beet), or puree half or all in the food processor as desired.


Oven Roasted Beets and Zucchini with Orange-Paprika Compound Salt
(Serves 2)

2 beets, cut into thin wedges
1 summer squash cut into half moons
2 tsp oil
Compound salt to taste (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 425. Toss beets and summer squash with salt and oil. Put in the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes, until the zucchini is golden-brown around the edges.

      Orange Paprika Compound Salt:
       (Recipe from Taste of Home Magazine)
3/4 cup Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or more to your liking)
1/2 cup grated orange zest (4-5 large oranges)

Combine ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined. Lay out on a baking sheet, casserole or other shallow dish so that the salt dries. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Makes 1 cup of salt, but the recipe is easily halved!
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment